Lex Equitia de gentibus (Nova Roma)
Status: This lex is currently IN FORCE.
I. ((Constitutional amendment))
Article II.D of the constitution is hereby amended to read:
- D. Gentes, Domus, and Familiae. Familiae (households) being the backbone of Roman society, the prerogatives and responsibilities of the familia are of primary importance to Nova Roma. Except where specifically dealt with in this constitution and the law, each familia shall have the right to determine its own course of action and parents shall have the undisputed right and responsibility to see to the education and raising of their children.
- 1. Each gens (clan) shall be registered with the censors, who will maintain records of gens membership and other relevant information.
- 2. No two gentes may have the same nomen. The censors shall be responsible for ensuring this rule is observed.
- 3. Each gens shall consist of a minimum of one domus (lineage).
- 4. No two domus within a gens may have the same cognomen (surname). The censors shall be responsible for ensuring this rule is observed.
- 5. Each familia shall have a paterfamilias and / or materfamilias who shall act as the leader(s) of the family and speak for it when necessary. The holder(s) of this position must be registered as such with the censors. The paterfamilias and / or materfamilias may, at his, her, or their discretion, expel members of his, her, or their familia, accept new members into it by adoption, or allow members to form new familiae belonging to the same order.
- a. The paterfamilias and / or materfamilias may, at his, her, or their discretion, exercise the rights enumerated in paragraph II.B of this Constitution on behalf of impuberes in his, her, or their familia, with the exception of the right to vote (paragraph II. B. 3.) and the right to join the Ordo Equester (paragraph II. B. 8.).
Section headers in double parentheses are unofficial and have been inserted for convenience.