Several groups of Roman military re-enactors have been approved by Senatus Consultum.People from across the world have for decades come together to reenact historical military and civilian life at various periods in time. A large number of these are dedicated to the Roman era. The level of historical detail required varies from Legion to Legion, and some engage in mock combat while others display their prowess at period drill and camp life. As part of our efforts to bring ancient Rome back to life, Nova Roma sponsors the activities of various Legions across the world.
Senate Decides that Nova Roma Should Sponsor Re-enactor Legions
(Proposed by Flavius Vedius Germanicus on a.d. IV Id. Mar. ‡ Fl. Vedio M. Cassio cos. ‡ MMDCCLI a.u.c.. Voting deadline extended to a.d. XVI Kal. Apr. ‡ Fl. Vedio M. Cassio cos. ‡ MMDCCLI a.u.c.. Approved with no dissenting votes on a.d. XVI Kal. Apr. ‡ Fl. Vedio M. Cassio cos. ‡ MMDCCLI a.u.c..)
I propose that Nova Roma seek to sponsor Legions; the various military re-enactor groups around the world that are usually set in the Imperial Roman era. I envision the following terms applying to the sponsorship:
- The members of the unit would be expected to apply for Citizenship.
- The unit would be given free publicity (including free space on the official Nova Roma web site) as an organ of Nova Roma, and informational and other support as practical and possible.
- The commander of the unit would be given the rank of Tribune (and automatic elevation to the Equestrian Order), and would have complete autonomy over the policies, standards, and practices of the unit.
- The unit would be expected to distribute Nova Roman literature at events in which it participates.
- Thus, Nova Roma gains citizens and exposure, and the reenactors gain exposure and support. We don't lose anything by including them, and the only increased obligation they have is to have a stack of our flyers at their events.
As a test case, one of our new citizens, Gallo Velius Marsallas in Pennsylvania, is attempting to put together a reenactment group. I would like to offer him sponsorship and grant him a command. I think it's quite fitting that our army will win its battles by educating people about ancient Rome.
Subsequent to the adoption of this senatus consultum, Nova Roma adopted a policy of making membership in the Ordo Equester available only to merchants who agree to provide a percentage of their profits to Nova Roma. Legion commanders do not become members of the Ordo Equester unless they are also merchants willing to agree to the terms required for Ordo Equester membership.
To apply for sponsorship, please see the Legio Sponsorship Application Form.
The Sodalitas Militarium of Nova Roma is devoted to the study of making war, as well as cataloging, modeling and re-enacting the great Military Forces that were Rome's. More information can be found on the Sodalitas Militarium page.
Nova Roma has, from its beginning, sponsored reenactment units throughout the world. Benefits include citizenship, a listing on this page, and web server space. For more information, or to apply, please see the Legio Sponsorship Application Form. Legions we currently sponsor can be found at Legiones.
- Legio II Augusta (Portsmouth, United Kingdom)
- Legio VIII Augusta MGV (United Kingdom)
- Quinta/Cohors Quinta Gallorum (Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom)
- Red Shanks (United Kingdom)
- Legio II Traiana Fortis (Las Vegas, NV)
- Legio III Cyrenaica (New England, USA)
- Legio III Gallica (New Orleans, LA)
- Legio XXIV Media Atlantia (Eastern PA & NJ, DE)
- Legio XX (College Park, MD)
- Legio VI Novae Romae (Albany NY)