Consul (Nova Roma)
The Consulship is one of the magistracies of Nova Roma. There are two Consules.
Although the Consules are colleagues and are equal in rank, it is sometimes necessary, particularly on ceremonial occasions, for one to take precedence. In such cases precedence is given to the Consul who was elected by the larger majority in the Comitia Centuriata. This Consul is called the Maior Consul ("Greater" Consul); the other is called the Minor Consul ("Lesser" Consul). It must be stressed that the distinction is of no legal significance and is purely ceremonial.
Citizens of Nova Roma sometimes mistakenly use the terms Senior Consul ("Elder" Consul) and Iunior Consul ("Younger" Consul) for Maior Consul and Minor Consul respectively.
Offices and Edicta
Edicta of the Consules are posted in their respective officinae.
List of Consuls of Nova Roma
- Three have held the office twice.
- Ten (53%) served as Praetor before becoming Consul. (indicated with PR.)
- Three (16%) were not members of the Senate before being elected Consul. (indicated with **)
- One is no longer a citizen.
- Flavius Vedius Germanicus (I)
- Suffectus: Quintus Caecilius Metellus (no longer a citizen)
- Marcus Cassius Iulianus (I)
- Lucius Equitius Cincinnatus (removed) PR.
- Suffectus: Lucius Cornelius Sulla PR.
- Decius Iunius Palladius PR.