Procedures for the Removal of a Senator
- Senatorship in Nova Roma shall be for life, so long as a Senator
maintains a minimum level of activity, as defined herein.
- Level of Activity Required.
- A Senator is required to cast votes
in at least one third of the sessions of the Senate during any calendar
year. Should he or she fail to do so, he or she may be removed at the
option of the Censores.
- Voting by proxy shall be considered acceptable for satisfying these
requirements, if and only if the right of proxy is granted during the
discussion period of the session for which proxy is granted.
- Removal of a Senator.
- The Censores are empowered to use their judgement when considering
the removal of a Senator who has failed to maintain the minimum level of
activity, and to either retain or remove that Senator at their option. The
Censores should consider whether a valid excuse for failing to remain
active has been offered.
- The Senator to be removed has sixty days to appeal his or her
removal to any magistrate capable of convening the Senate.
- A 2/3rds supermajority of the Senate, excluding the Censores, is
required to override the Censores and halt the removal.
- An ex-Senator who has been removed may be later restored to the
Senate by the Censores.
- Censores, Consuls, and
Praetores are exempt during their year in office, regardless of their
participation level the previous year. Any Senator appointed less than
six months before the end of the preceding year is exempt.
- In recognition of their service to the Republic, any Senator who has
completed a full term as Consul or Censor may be removed from
the Senate if and only if he or she fails the test described in Section
II for four consecutive years.
- Any Senator who has served in the Senate for ten years is forever after exempt from removal for reason of
- This Senatus Consultum is the advice of the Senate to the Censores.
A law based upon this Senatus Consultum, if passed by the Comitia, shall
go into effect on the Kalends of Ianuarius MMDCCLVI auc (01 January
Passed, Yes-11; No-4; Abstain-1
a.d. IV Kal. Feb. MMDCCLV
Senatus Consulta | Tabularivm | Main Page |