Nova Roma Should Sponsor Re-enactor Legions
(Proposed by Flavius Vedius Germanicus 3/12/98. Voting deadline extended to 3/17/98.
Approved with no dissenting votes 3/17/98.)
I propose that Nova Roma seek to sponsor Legions; the various military re-enactor
groups around the world that are usually set in the Imperial Roman era. I envision the
following terms applying to the sponsorship:
- The members of the unit would be expected to apply for Citizenship.
- The unit would be given free publicity (including free space on the official Nova Roma
web site) as an organ of Nova Roma, and informational and other support as practical and
- The commander of the unit would be given the rank of Tribune (and automatic elevation to
the Equestrian Order), and would have complete autonomy over the policies, standards, and
practices of the unit.
- The unit would be expected to distribute Nova Roman literature at events in which it
- Thus, Nova Roma gains citizens and exposure, and the reenactors gain exposure and
support. We don't lose anything by including them, and the only increased obligation they
have is to have a stack of our flyers at their events.
As a test case, one of our new citizens, Gallo Velius Marsallas in Pennsylvania, is
attempting to put together a reenactment group. I would like to offer him sponsorship and
grant him a command. I think it's quite fitting that our army will win its battles by
educating people about ancient Rome.
Senatus Consulta | Tabularivm | Main Page |