Senatus consultum de Municipio Poltava (Nova Roma)
SENATUS CONSULTUM DE MUNICIPIO POLTAVA
K. Buteo Quintilianus consul consulted the senate between a.d. VI Kal. Quin. ‡ and Kal. Quin. ‡ C. Curius, M. Lucretius and Cn. Marinus were there for the transcription. Inasmuch as K. Buteo consul made mention of the approval of the Foedus of Municipium Poltava, concerning that matter the senate recommended as follows:
The senate accepts, approves and recognizes the Nova Roman Oppidum Poltava according to the lex Fabia de oppidis et municipiis as the first municipium of Nova Roman Republic, Municipium Poltava, and approves the Foedus de constitutione municipii Poltavae as seen below in the appendix.
The senate so recommended. XVIII voted, none opposed.
Provincia Sarmatia - Municipium Poltava - Foedus
FOEDVS DE CONSTITVTIONE MUNICIPII POLTAVAE
I. Name of the Oppidum
In accordance with the Lex Fabia de oppidis et municipiis, we the citizens of Nova Roma in the city of Poltava in Provincia Sarmatia establish Municipium Poltava (“Municipium"). This foedus is given to the provincial governor of Provincia Sarmatia, the Municipium being a local subdivision of this province.
II. Geographical Limits
Oppidum Poltava shall include the citiy of Poltava and surrounding Poltava rayon, in Ukraine.
- A. Every citizen of Nova Roma living in the area listed in Article II shall be a member of the Municipium.
- B. Every member of the Municipium shall have the right to relinquish his or her membership in the Municipium without losing any of his or her rights as a citizen of Nova Roma.
- C. Loss of Nova Roman citizenship shall involve loss of membership in the Municipium.
- D. The process of re-admission to membership of the Municipium shall be determined by Duumviri.
The following public documents shall be instituted and recorded within the section of the Nova Roma Wiki that is reserved for the records and business of Provincia Sarmatia, the following documents:
- A. The Album Civium, listing the names of the citizens of Nova Roma who are also members of the Municipium.
- B. The Tabularium, recording the leges of the Comitia Municipalia and the edicta issued by the Duumviri.
V. Institutions and Magistrates
- A. Comitia Municipalia, the general assembly of all the members of the Municipium.
- B. Duumviri, two magistrates elected once a year.
- C. Scribae, appointed by each Duumvir, not to exceed one for each Duumvir.
- D. Other offices may be created by the Comitia Municipalia to perform specific duties.
- A. There shall be two Duumviri, who are collegial magistrates of equal power. They are the highest ranking magistrates in the Municipium.
- B. The Duumviri shall be elected by the Comitia Municipalia and their term of office shall be a full calendar year.
- C. The duties of the Duumviri are:
- 1. To summon the Comitia Municipalia and preside over its meetings
- 2. To maintain the local Album Civium and Tabularium.
- 3. To issue edicta affecting the Municipium
- 4. To exercise intercessio against another local magistrate of equal or lesser authority.
- D. The provincial governor may, at his or her discretion, remove one or both of the Duumviri by edictum. He or she will then make arrangements for a suffect election with a term of office until the expiration of the current year, unless Section VII.G.2 applies.
VII. Comitia Municipalia
- A. The Comitia Municipalia is composed of all the members of the Municipium and all members shall have the right to speak and vote in the Comitia.
- B. The Comitia Municipalia shall elect all local magistrates and enact leges binding upon all the members of the Municipium.
- C. The Comitia Municipalia shall assemble at least once every three months within each calendar year for informational sessions. The Comitia shall be called to order by one or both of the Duumviri. One or both of the Duumviri may call other meetings of the Comitia.
- D. From the date of publication of the call by one or both of the Duumviri for the Comitia Municipalia to meet, at least one full week shall elapse before the date of the meeting of the Comitia Municipalia.
- E. The Comitia Municipalia shall meet at a location within the area specified in Article II.
- F. Elections for all magistrate positions in shall be held between January 1st and February 28th of each year, with magistrates taking office on March 1st of each year.
- G. In the event that a person holding magisterial Municipium office resigns, or is removed from that office, or, losses or resigns from Nova Roman citizenship,:
- 1. Where the remaining term of office is greater than 93 days, one or both of the Duumviri, or the provincial governor, shall summon the Comitia and conduct an election to select a replacement for that magistrate.
- 2. Where the remaining term of office is less than 93 days, the provincial governor shall select a replacement for that magistrate.
- H. Voting in the Comitia requires the physical presence of the voter in the place where the Comitia is being held.
VIII. Intercessio and Legal Precedence
- A. The provincial governor shall have the power of intercessio over the Duumviri and the Comitia Municipalia, and this intercessio is not subject to the time limits imposed by Article VIII.F
- B. Each Duumvir shall have the power of intercessio over his or her colleague and over other minor magistrates of the Municipium.
- C. Edicta of the provincial governor shall have precedence over the leges of the Comitia Municipalia and edicta of the Duumviri, and all other magistrates, of the Municipium.
- D. The Leges of the Comitia Municipalia shall have precedence over edicta of the Duumviri and all other magistrates of the Municipium.
- E. The Edicta of the Duumviri of the Municipium shall have precedence over the edicta of all other magistrates of the Municipium.
- F. When one magistrate of the Municipium issues an Edictum, a higher ranking magistrate of the Municipium, or his or her colleague of equal rank, will have 72 hours in which to exercise intercessio.
IX. Modifications to this Foedus
- A. This foedus may be modified by a lex approved by the Comitia Municipalia.
- B. Once the lex has passed, the Duumviri will jointly submit the revised foedus to the governor for approval. The lex will only receive the force of law when the governor has approved it by edict.
- Marcus Octavius Corvus
- Appius Furius Lupus
- Decimus Iulius Albus
- Titus Iunius Brutus
- Gnaeus Octavius Corvus
- Titus Octavius Corvus
- Marcus Octavius Corvus (Minor)
- Marcus Octavius Nero
- Numerius Arrius Pictor
- Titus Gratius Triarius
- Quintus Furius Buteo
- Appia Flavia Gemella
- Titus Iunius Crassus
- Titus Gratius Triarius (Minor)
- Titus Iunius Brutus (Minor)
- Gaia Lucia Severa
- Gaia Sergia Flora
- Marca Flavia Silana
- Aula Octavia Nero Polina
- Lucia Cassia Dives
- Quintus Coruncanius Asper
- Gaius Furius Buteo
- Tiberius Vedius Rutilus
- Spurius Laelius Ahenobarbus
- Marca Curtia Metella
- Decimus Vitruvius Lepidus
- Spurius Fabricius Fastus
- Marcus Tuccius Varro
- Lucius Atilius Pecuniola
- Decimus Iunius Longus
- Tiberia Grattia Lentina
- Sextus Curtius Tullus
- Appius Portius Cato
- Lucia Domicia Lea
- Appia Portia Cato
- Decimus Tarquitius Trigeminus