Lucius Vitellius Triarius (Election MMDCCLX)
Salve et Salvete Novi Romani!
Fellow citizens. I am Lucius of the Vitellii, called Triarius, and I stand before you in the toga candida to address you and present my candidacy for the office of Quaestor for the year, MMDCCLXI A•V•C (2008 CE).
I am 41 years old, married to the most wonderful woman in the world (Lisa), we have three children (James-7, William-4, Catie-2), and we live in the Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains in Eastern Tennessee, USA, or the Tennessee Regio of Provincia America Austrorientalis. I have spent many years working in law enforcement and the legal system—19 years, in fact. I also served in the Army National Guard for 17 years, working in the Cavalry and Intelligence branches of the Army.
I have had a lifelong interest in Ancient Rome, its accomplishments and failures, and how they have shaped the world that we live in today. I am convinced that the foundations and decisions the ancient Romans laid and made for us will continue to provide age-old answers to the new-age problems we will encounter in the future.
I joined Nova Roma on January 25, 2005, and became an Assiduus member of Gens Vitellia. I currently have Assiduus status and am of the Plebeian order. I have served in several different positions:
(1) I have served for two and a half years as the Preafectus Regio of the Tennessee Regio of my home provincia, America Austrorientalis (Southeast USA).
(2) I am currently appointed as a member of the central planning team of the Go Roman Project, where I have worked many long hours helping design and develop the foundation guidelines, policies and marketing/promotional materials for the international outreach program.
(3) I served as provincial webmaster until the transformation of the old Nova Roma website to the new wiki, and now currently assist with updates and site management of the Provincia America Austrorientalis section of the wiki.
(4) I am currently working on establishing Go Roman! Egressus Clubs at universities within in my home provincia.
(5) I have assisted in promoting dialogues with other Roman Reenacting organizations, which will hopefully lead to the recruitment of many new cives to our Res Pvblica in the years to come.
(6) I formed and moderate three Nova Roma newsgroups: Volaesia, Factio Veneta Stables and the Forum Boarium
- Volaesia~ A local list for East Tennessee, USA
- Factio Veneta Stable~ The official list of the Blues
- Forum Boarium ~ The unofficial Plebeian list
(7) I am the currently elected Dominus factionis for Factio Veneta, the Blues, one of Nova Roma’s virtual chariot teams.
- Factio Veneta ~ The Official Res Pvblica site for the Ludi Circenses Championship
While I am relatively new to Nova Roma, I have studied and watched, learned and listened, and I have a relatively good working knowledge of Nova Roma. In the three years I have been a civis, I have formed and forged some very good friendships to guide me down the correct path as one of your Quaestors. I believe in openness, speaking the truth, bringing problems out in the open, and not skirting the issues.
I pledge to act in fairness in all of my duties and to respond to citizen requests promptly and efficiently.
I believe that the future of Nova Roma lies in the hands of its citizenry on the local level. I am a member of one of the most active provinces in the Res Pvblica. I personally feel that in order to further develop our organization, we must meet offline, as well as online. We must forge friendships with other organizations of like interests and recruit from them. By showing a positive image to the public, we can expand our citizenry base and effectively include many other smaller Roman organizations within our realm without harming or affecting their existing structure.
I believe that Nova Roma can and will be the model Roman organization and central meeting place for all Roman interest groups in the future. Many suggest we make Roma our annual gathering place. I expand that and say, let’s make Nova Roma the Roman enthusiast’s global daily gathering place. We need to begin to work together by participating in Nova Roman events, both online and offline, as well as supporting our Magistrates, lobbying our Senators, and assisting our Pontiffs in elevating our status in the modern Roman world.
As your Quaestor, I will work diligently with other citizens to help improve our Res Pvblica as we all progress along this journey ahead.
I ask that you support and cast your votes for me, Lucius Vitellius Triarius, as Quaestor.
I ask Pater Mars and Iuppiter Optimus Maximus, patron deities of my Gens, to look favorably upon me in my journey and quest, and ask for their guidance and assistance in helping you, my friends, in making your choice in electing me as one of your new Quaestors.
"A•POSSE•AD•ESSE" (From Possibility to Actuality)
Respectfully Submitted and in Your Service,
Vale et valete optime,
Lucius Vitellius Triarius