Ludi Romani 2767 a.u.c./Certamen Historicum
About the Contest
This year's Certamen Historicum for the Ludi Romani will consist of 40 questions about Caesar Augustus and the Ludi Romani.
L VITELLIVS TRIARIVS Aedilis curulis
A) You may email your answers at any time before Thursday, September 18 at 12:00 Noon Rome time with the Subject title: "Certamen Answers."
B) Email your answers to: email@example.com
Day I Questions
1. When was Augustus born?
23 September 63 BC
2. Who were the three wives of Augustus?
Clodia Pulchra, Scribonia, Livia Drusilla
3. On what day did Augustus begin his reign?
16 January 27 BC
4. When did Augustus Die?
19 August 14 AD
5. Who were Augustus' children?
Julia the Elder, Gaius Caesar, Lucius Caesar, Agrippa Postumus, Tiberius Claudius Nero
6. How many of Augustus' children were adopted?
7. Who was not adopted?
Julia the Elder
8. Where was Augustus born?
In Rome at Ox Head on the Palatine Hill
Day II Questions
9. What town was Augustus' paternal family from?
10. Where was Augustus raised?
11. Augustus' father was governor of which Roman province?
12. Augustus' great-grandfather was a military tribune where?
13. How old was Augustus when his father died?
14. What was Augustus' mother's name?
Atia Balba Caesonia
15. What was Augustus' given name at birth?
Gaius Octavius Thurinus
16. What was the name of the former governor of Syria that his mother married?
Lucius Marcius Philippus
Day III Questions
17. Who did Philippus claim decent from?
Alexander the Great
18. Who raised Augustus as a child?
His Grandmother, Julia Caesaris
19. When was Augustus elected to the Collegium Pontificum?
20. Who formed the First Triumvirate?
Gnaeus Pompey Magnus, Julius Caesar, and Marcus Licinius Crassus
21. Who formed the Second Triumvirate?
Octavian, Mark Antony, and Marcus Aemilius Lepidus
22. After the Battle of Actium, who was elected Consul with Octavian?
23. In 27 BC, what two titles did the Senate give Octavian?
Augustus and Princeps
24. In 23 BC, who was Augustus' first choice for co-Consul that died before taking office?
Day IV Questions
Aulus Terentius Varro Murena
25. Who was appointed to replace Aulus Terentius?
26. What was "imperium proconsulare maius," and why was it important to Augustus?
"power over all the proconsuls," which allowed his supreme influence to control the affairs of the provinces.
27. Where did Augustus die?
28. What was Augustus' full name?
Imperator Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus
29. How old was Augustus when he died?
30. Where was Augustus buried?
Mausoleum of Augustus in Rome
31. When were the Ludi Romani first held?
32. What did this festival first introduce in 364 BC to Rome?
Day V Questions
33. Who are the Ludi Romani games primarily dedicated to?
34. Who is said to have first established these games?
35. Who originally organized the Ludi Romani?
36. Who later organized them?
The Curule Aediles
37. What was unique about the Ludi circenses at the Ludi Romani?
Each chariot carried a driver and a warrior. The warrior jumped out of the chariot and ran the last lap on foot.
38. Who produced the first play at the Ludi Romani in 240 BC?
39. The grand processional opening the Ludi Romani began where and ended where?
The Temple of Iuppiter to the Circus Maximus
40. Why did Tarquinius Priscus set up the Ludi Romani?
To celebrate his military victories