LEX IUNIA CORNELIA DE PATRUMFAMILIAE MATRUMFAMILIAEQUE AETATE
This law shall regulate the minimum age at which a citizen may become
the paterfamilias or materfamilias of a new Nova Roman gens.
- Any person 15-17 years of age may not form a new gens and become its
paterfamilias or materfamilias. He or she must join an existing
gens until the age of 18.
- If, for whatever reason, an under age citizen is the sole remaining
person in his or her gens, then that person will be considered, within
Nova Roma, sui iuris (free of the authority of a paterfamilias or
materfamilias) and able to assume the position of paterfamilias or
materfamilias and the leadership of his or her gens.
- All citizens aged 15-17 who, at the time of the passage of this
law, already hold the position of paterfamilias or materfamilias of a
gens shall be exempt from its provisions.
- Under extraordinary circumstances, an exemption to this law may be
granted to an individual by the approval of both censors and a special
senatus consultum approved by a two thirds majority vote.
- The censors shall be charged with the enforcement of this law as part
of their duty of reviewing and processing new citizenship applications
and requests to form new gentes.
Passed by Comitia Centuriata, Yes-xx; No-x; Abstain-x
19 September MMDCCLII