Creation of a Cohors Consulis
Ex Officio Consulis Senioris Caesonis Fabii Quintiliani
Edictum Consulare CFQ I de Cohorte Consulis CFQ Constituenda
(The First Consular edict CFQ on the establishment of the Cohors Consulis CFQ)
The duties and responsibilities of the Consuls are many and varied,
and often require much time, thought, research and effort to be given
to many different tasks at once. For this reason, in accordance with
the constitution of Nova Roma, clause IV.A.2.e, the Senior Consul
shall be appointing a number of Accensi (Assistants) to assist and
advise him. In the interests of efficiency and order, these Accensi
shall be gathered and organized as members of the "Cohors Consulis
Caesonis Fabii Quintiliani" (Cohors Consulis CFQ). This edict
establishes the Cohors Consulis CFQ and sets out its internal
- Every member of the Cohors shall be ultimately answerable to the
Consul, and the Consul shall have the final decision in any matter he
delegates to the Cohors or to any part of it.
- The Accensi shall be ranked as follows, with the highest rank first:
- Accensus Magnus (Major Assistant). There shall be no hierarchy
within this rank.
- Accensus Superior (High Assistant). These shall be ranked by
number, beginning with the Accensus Superior Primus (First High
Assistant), then the Accensus Superior Secundus (Second High
Assistant), and so on.
- Accensus Senior (Senior Assistant). These shall be ranked by
number, beginning with the Accensus Senior Primus (First Senior
Assistant), then the Accensus Senior Secundus (Second Senior
Assistant), and so on, except for Accensi promoted to this rank from
the rank of Accensus Ordinarius (Ordinary Assistant), who shall have
- Accensus Ordinarius (Ordinary Assistant). There shall be no
hierarchy within this rank.
- Accensus Iunior (Assistant-in-training). This rank shall be
held only by Accensi under 21 years of age. These shall be divided
into two ranks, the higher being that of Tiro (Cadet), the lower
being that of Petitor (Aspirant).
- The Consul may at his discretion promote any Accensus to a
higher rank, up to the rank of Senior. Promotion shall be based on
the merit of work done in the Cohors. Promotion to a higher rank
shall not entail any additional duties or responsibilities, but shall
be purely honorary.
- The Cohors Consulis CFQ shall consist of two branches: the
Advisory Branch and the Executive Branch.
- Consilium Accensorum Magnorum (the Council of Major Assistants)
shall consist of every Accensus Magnus, and shall offer advice to the
Consul when asked. It shall be chaired by a Praeses (Chairman), who
shall be one of the Accensi Magni. The Consilium Accensorum Magnorum
shall be part of the Advisory Branch of the Cohors Consulis CFQ.
- Conclave ad Praeparationem Cohortis Consulis (the Briefing-Room
of the Consular Staff) shall consist of the Consul, the Ductor
Cohortis and every member of the Executive Branch of the Cohors. The
right to address the Conclave shall belong only to the Consul and the
Accensi Superiores, except at weekends, when all members may speak.
The Conclave Praeparatio Cohors Consulis shall be part of the
Executive Branch of the Cohors Consulis CFQ.
- Private Secretaries. The Consul shall have a number of private
secretaries to assist him in organizing his affairs. The Consul may
divide specific duties among his private secretaries as he deems
appropriate. The private secretaries shall be part of the Executive
Branch of the Cohors Consulis CFQ.
- Ductorium Cohortis (the Steering Committee of the Staff) shall
consist of the Consul, the Ductor Cohortis (Chief of Staff) and the
Capites and Vicarii Officinarum (Heads and Deputies of Offices; see
- The Ductorium Cohortis shall be part of the Executive Branch of
the Cohors Consulis CFQ.
- The Ductorium shall meet regularly to coordinate the work of
the Officinae (see IX).
- Meetings shall be chaired by the Ductor Cohortis, or in his
absence by the Vicarius Primus Ductoris Cohortis (First Deputy Chief
of Staff), or in the absence of both by the Vicarius Secundus
Ductoris Cohortis (Second Deputy Chief of Staff), and so on.
- These posts shall be filled as follows:
- The Accensus Superior Primus shall be Ductor Cohortis;
- The Accensus Superior Secundus shall be Vicarius Primus
- The Accensus Superior Tertius shall be Vicarius Secundus
and so on.
- The Ductor Cohortis shall have a private secretary (Primus
Adiutor Cohortis - First Staff Assistant) to assist him in organizing
his affairs. This post shall be filled by the Accensus Senior Primus.
- At meetings of the Ductorium, the secretary shall be the
Secundus Adiutor Cohortis (Second Staff Assistant), or in his absence
the Tertius Adiutor Cohortis (Third Staff Assistant), and so on.
- These posts shall be filled as follows:
- The Accensus Senior Secundus shall be Secundus Adiutor Cohortis;
- The Accensus Senior Tertius shall be Tertius Adiutor Cohortis;
and so on.
- There shall be three Officinae (Offices):
- Officina ad Consuetudines et Communicationes (Relations and
Communications Office). This Officina shall assist the Consul with
all matters related to contacts within and outside Nova Roma.
- Officina Aerarii (Financial Office). This Officina shall
assist the Consul with matters related to financial and economical
- Officina Iuris et Rei Politicae (Law and Politics Office).
This Officina shall assist the Consul in political and legal issues.
Each Officina shall be part of the Executive Branch of the Cohors
- The Members of the Officina
- Each Officina shall be headed by a Caput
Officina (Head of Office), who shall be answerable directly to the
Ductor Cohortis; and by a Vicarius Capitis Officinae (Deputy Head
of Office), who shall be answerable directly to the Caput Officina.
The Caput Officina shall be an Accensus Superior; the Vicarius Capitis
Officinae shall be an Accensus Senior.
- Each Officina shall also
contain a number of members who shall be Accensi Ordinarii or Iuniores,
who shall be answerable directly to the Caput Officina.
- The Caput
Officina may assign specific tasks and responsibilities to other members
of his Officina at his discretion.
- Each Accensi of the Cohors Consulis
CFQ is required to swear the oath issued in the "Edictum Consulare
CFQ III de Iusiurando Apparitorium (The Third Consular Edict Concerning
the Oath of Attendants/Apparitores)"
- This edictum becomes effective
Given 1st of January, in the year of the Consulship of Caeso Fabius Quintilianus
and Titus Labienus Fortunatus, 2756 AUC.
01 January 2756