Certamen Historicum ~ Ludi Conditorum 2761 AUC (Nova Roma)
Welcome to the Certamen Historicum
Welcome to the Certamen Historicum, the historical quiz.
To celebrate the anniversary of the founding of Nova Roma, the quiz this time is about our own Nova Roma history.
This is a great opportunity to see how much we can remember, or, for newer citizens, to help you learn about what has happened in our Republic. So please take part, join in the fun, and let's see how much we know, or can find out, about our own past.
There are three sets of eight questions. One mark will be given for each correct answer. Where there is more than one element in the question, a mark will be given for each element answered correctly.
The answers should all be found in and around the Nova Roma web pages. To give you all enough research time, the answers must reach me by 6pm Rome time on Friday 29 February.
Please send your answers to me at the following email address: email@example.com
So here we go with the first eight questions. Good luck and happy hunting.
C Marcius Crispus
First Round Questions
1. Who founded Nova Roma (Roman names please), and when?
- Flavius Vedius Germanicus and Marcus Cassius Iulianus, the fathers of the country, issued the Declaratio on 28 February 1998 (prid. Kal. Mar. MMDCCLI a.u.c). This publicly declared the founding of Nova Roma. Today we celebrate that founding event. The earliest citizenship dates start from the next day, 1 March 1998 (Kal. Mar. MMDCCLI a.u.c).
2. How many times, and in which years, were these two joint consuls?
- Twice. 1998 and 2001. (MMDCCLI and MMDCCLIV a.u.c).
3. Who was the first Censor of Nova Roma, and who replaced him?
- At the beginning of Nova Roma, from 1 March 1998, Flavius Vedius Germanicus and Marcus Cassius Iulianus were at the same time both Consuls and Censors. Flavius Vedius Germanicus, resigned VII Id Sep MMDCCI (7 Sep 1998). Decius Iunius Palladius, was appointed Censor Suffectus XIV Kal Oct MMDCCLI (18 Sep 1998), joining Marcus Cassius Iulianus as joint Censor.
4. What major Nova Roman turn of events took place at the end of June, 1999 and who were the consuls for that year?
- At the end of June 1999 Nova Roma entered into what has become known as the Civil War. Arguments broke out as to whether appointments in Nova Roma were legitimate. Various factions were formed, each claiming to have the greatest legitimacy. One of these took down the website. In July the Senate appointed Flavius Vedius Germanicus as Dictator to sort things out. This was the Vedian Dictatorship. As a result, there were three consuls that year: Lucius Equitius Cincinnatus (whose election was invalidated by Flavius Vedius Germanicus), Decius Iunius Palladius (Invictus), and Lucius Cornelius Sulla (Felix).
5. Where is Nova Roma legally incorporated?
- Maine, USA
6. What is the extent of land area owned by Nova Roma, where is it, and when was it purchased?
- In April, 2003 the Senate of Nova Roma approved the purchase of a 10-acre ranch in Culberson County in West Texas., USA. (Nova Roma's Provincia America Austroccidentalis). The land was purchased by M. Cassius Iulianus and he donated it to Nova Roma. Any Citizen of Nova Roma is welcome to visit it should they travel to the area. Take some water with you, though!
7. What is the currency of Nova Roma?
- The only currency actually in circulation is the Sestertius.
8. How many issues of the Nova Roma currency have there been, and what were the names of each issue?
- There have been two issues of currency. The first is known as the Declaratio, to commemorate publication of the Declaratio as the founding event of Nova Roma, and was made of bronze. The second is called the Quadriga, and is made of brass.
Second Round Questions
NOVA ROMA CURRENCY Cont...
9. When was the first currency issued, and who were the Consuls in that year?
- MMDCCLIII (the year 2000). Quintus Fabius Maximus and Marcus Minucius Audens were the Consuls that year.
10. Where can you purchase coins?
- Harpax, in the Macellum. Only the second issue is now available for purchase. You may also be able to purchase coins from Provinciae, or on E-bay or other vendors.
11 During the Ludi Romani of 2756, who was the Curule Aedile presenting the games, who won the Cultural award, and whose chariot was victorious?
- Fr. Apulus Caesar was the Curule Aedile, Gaia Flavia Aureliana won the Cultural Award, and Gaius Iulius Scaurus' chariot "Raptor Cruentus" won the Circenses.
12. Name the four racing factions that take part in the games, and the colours in which each competes.
- Albata, the Whites; Praesina, the Greens; Russata, the Reds, and Veneta, the Blues.
BEING A CITIZEN
13. As a citizen you are attached to a Province. How many Provinces are there in Nova Roma?
- Twenty seven.
14. As a citizen you are also placed in a tribe. How many Urban, and how many Rural tribes are there?
- 4 Urban tribes and 31 Rural. Nova Roma maintains the traditional number of 35 tribes as in Roma Antiqua.
15. Nova Roma welcomes financial donations. You have four ways, (funds etc) to help the Republic and its enterprises. What are they?
- The answers we were looking for are: Payment of tax, support to the Aedilician Fund (Magna Mater Project), the Scholarship Fund, and by making a general donation to the Treasury. Nova Roma finances can also be helped by making a purchase from the vendors in the macellum, who pay a proportion of their sales to the Treasury. Bearing in mind an earlier question in this quiz, land may also be donated, as well as gifts in kind.
16. How many citizens are currently assidui?
- The number has risen from 72 to 76 assidui over the past few days. There is a suggestion that the published number may need to rise a little more based on those listed as assidui in the album civium.
Third Round Questions
BEING A CITIZEN Cont...
17. Name the 3 orders into which citizens are classed.
- Ordo patricius (Patrician), Ordo plebeius (Plebeian), Ordo equester (Equestrian).
18. What is the minimum age, to the exact day, to become a full citizen?
- 18 years plus the 90 day probationary period (tirocinium) before they can vote or stand for public office as full citizens. There are exceptions, particularly for those who start off as minor citizens who may take the citizen exam up to 90 days before their 18th birthday.
19. What is a provocatio?
- The right of a citizen to appeal against a magisterial decision. Most hearings would take place in the Comitia Populi Tributa. Where lifetime exile is in question the provocatio takes place in the Comitia Centuriata.
20. Before the current one, presented on Feb. 20th this year, how many have there been, and who were the registering magistrates?
- i. Cn-Equit-Marinus accepted the provocatio of L. Sicinius Drusus, but no hearing was held because the issue was resolved.
- ii. In 2758 Trib. P Memmius Albucius accepted a provocatio from T.Galerias Paulinus concerning submission of names for election in 2758.
21. Where and when was the fifth European Conventus Novae Romae held?
- The V Conventus Novae Romae was held in Britannia, along Hadrian's Wall, from 3 to 9 August 2006. Citizens from Britain, continental Europe, and North America traveled the length of the wall.
22. Who was the Governor of the Province in which it was held that year?
- C Livia was the Governor of Britannia that year.
23. Two citizens travelled all the way from the USA to attend this 5th Conventus. Who were they?
- M. Octavius Gracchus (formerly Germanicus) and A Tullia Scholastica.
24. Where and when will the next European Conventus be held?
- The next European Conventus will be held in Dacia from July 30th to August 4th this year.
The scores and final positions are:
- 1st Place: Gaia Aurelia Falco Silvana, 55 points
- 2nd Place: Marcus Martianius Lupus, 54 points
- 3rd Place: Gnaeus Equitius Marinus, 54 points
- 4th Place: Tiberius Galerius Paulinus, 48 points
- 5th Place: Lucius Fidelius Lusitanus, 42 points
- 6th Place: Pompeia Minucia Tiberia, 19 points
I therefore have great pleasure in declaring C. Aurelia Falco Silvana the winner, by the closest of margins. Many congratulations to her and to you all for an excellent and well-fought contest.
C. Marcius Crispus